Mechanical Engineering - MSc
School of Engineering, Design and Manufacturing Systems
- Full Time: 12 months
- Full Time: €4,400 per year
International Students: €11,350 International GDL
This course aims to:
- Develop the skills required to design and analyse components and systems within a general engineering environment.
- Introduce modern computer-based tools used within the industry and give you the opportunity to apply them to realistic problems.
- Develop engineering skills including problem-solving abilities, practical competencies, critical appraisal and communication skills.
- Mechanical design engineers with the skills this course offers are essential to meeting today's challenges. Overseas competition and adverse economic and productivity differences across the global markets creates significant competitive pressures in the engineering and manufacturing sectors.
- The primary strategies for meeting these challenges call for innovation in design and manufacturing processes that can be directly incorporated into products, requiring a new generation of mechanical design engineers, skilled in the use of advanced computer modelling and simulation techniques.
- The MSc Mechanical Engineering course has been designed to reflect the increasing industrial use of complex analytical tools such as Adams Mechanisms, Finite Element Analysis and Solid Modelling techniques.
- Dynamics-15 Credits
- CAD-15 Credits
- Thermofluids-15 Credits
- New Materials-15 Credits
- Control-15 Credits
- Manufacturing Processes-15 Credits
- FEA-15 Credits
- Knowledge Based Engineering-15 Credits
Computer Aided Design
- The module builds on your knowledge of simulation tools by developing skills and knowledge of design and modern digital design modelling techniques. You'll gain experience and skill in the development of a design within a design team using concurrent engineering.
- We will help you develop the creative, analytical and design skills to undertake a substantial design project both individually and as part of a group.
Dynamics Noise and Control
- This module will enable you to develop and analyse model representations of dynamic and vibrating systems for the purposes of controller design.
- The module provides you with the skills and techniques necessary for the modelling and simulation of static, dynamic and vibrating systems for the purposes of the optimisation and control of their transient and steady state performance.
New Materials and Processes
- The aim of module is to introduce you to state of the art developments in materials science and manufacturing and their application to real engineering situations.
- The module will enable you to utilise new materials and processes in their design by gaining an understanding of the capabilities of the new technologies.
- There will also be a focus specifically on designing with new materials and the modelling of manufacturing processes.
- You will also gain experience of team-working and the application of project management techniques.
Modern mechanical and automotive engineering projects almost inevitably involve the use of computer simulation. This module is designed to provide the knowledge and skills required to carry out such simulations by the use of case studies and projects.
The aim of this module is to provide the industrial standard simulation techniques which will enable you to model and analyse and redesign complex engineering components and systems.
Effective communication is key in a professional environment. For this reason, we use project reports, record keeping and oral presentations extensively in our assessments, although we may use time-constrained tests where appropriate. Assessment focuses largely on projects and case studies and we make personal development planning an integral part of the learning process.
After your studies
The University has a range of research (MPhil and PhD) postgraduate programmes. Details can be found on the postgraduate section of the website.
There are many challenging and rewarding career opportunities for practitioners able to operate at a senior level in the mechanical, automotive, aeronautical and offshore engineering industries. Never has the need been greater for highly skilled, innovative engineers.